Environment, health and safety
Guided by its kyosei philosophy that focuses on "living and working together for the common good", Canon is dedicated to the green movement and being socially-responsible and has various programmes in place.
You can read about Canon's cartridge recycling programme below. Also:
- The official policies page contains the details of Canon's QEHS policy, the Canon Group Environmental Charter and our Environmental certifications (ISO 14001 and Green Label Certification).
- Some of our Corporate Social Responsibility activities focus on protecting the environment.
- Canon's global website has a section on environmental technologies that lessen the burden on the environment.
- You can download the ECO life brochure (PDF, 1.1 MB) to read more about what Canon is doing to reduce its environmental impact.
- For many of our products a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is available to enable safe use of our products at the workplace and home. The MSDS is a reference document of chemical ingredients found in our products which contains information on its chemical and physical properties, as well as first aid measures to be taken in the event of an accident.
The Cartridge Recycling Programme
Launched in 1990, Canon was one of the pioneers in collecting and recycling used cartridges. Beyond recycling, this initiative encouraged customers to be part of the green movement. With strong customer participation, this programme effectively reduced waste buried in landfills as well as the consumption of natural resources in the production of Canon products.
Which types of cartridges does Canon recycle?
- Canon ink cartridges
(for inkjet printers, inkjet all-in-ones, inkjet fax machines and large format printers)
- Canon toner cartridges
(for laser printers, laser all-in-ones, laser fax machines and personal copiers)
Please note that we do not collect non-Canon brand cartridges.
How do I participate?
Cartridges can be dropped off at
four Canon locations
Can I arrange for my cartridges to be collected?
We can arrange for on-site collection for toner cartridges only. For cost-effectiveness, on-site collection can be arranged only when at least 10 toner cartridges are available for collection. Please call our
send us an email
, and we will respond to you within two working days.
Does Canon accept collection of toner cartridges upon delivery of Canon consumables?
Yes, you can pass your toner cartridges to us when we deliver your new orders of consumables.
Note: Collection will be made by Canon Singapore only. If you order your consumables through a third party, they may not want to collect the cartridges. Please contact us directly for collection.
Can I request a recycling box at my workplace?
Sorry, we do not provide recycling boxes. However, we can arrange for collection of toner cartridges at your premises should the quantity exceed 10 units. Please call our
send us an email
to request collection of your cartridges.
Does Canon buy back or provide incentives for the return of ink and toner cartridges?
No, we do not buy back or provide such incentives. We recycle our ink and toner cartridges to contribute to a more sustainable environment, and we encourage you to play your part and join us in this project.
Where is Canon's recycling plant?
Our recycling plant is located in Dalian, China.
How does Canon recycle toner cartridges?
The world is undergoing a major transformation from a 'throw away' to a 'recycling' society. Canon was aware of this change at an early stage and launched the Toner Cartridge Recycling Programme in 1990. This program not only reduces the waste buried in landfills, but also reduces the consumption of natural resources in the production of our products. In order to guarantee the quality of products, we do not refill the collected toner cartridges.
The diagrams below show our recycling system as a closed loop, and details how toner cartridges are being recycled.