If you cannot remove dirt or dust on the image sensor (CMOS) even by using the sensor cleaning function on your camera, or if your camera does not have a function for sensor cleaning, you can clean the sensor on your own by using a commercially available blower.
The surface of the image sensor is extremely delicate. If the sensor needs to be cleaned directly, it is advisable to contact a Canon Service Center.
- For the power source, using an AC Adapter Kit ACK-E8 (sold separately) is recommended.
- If you use a battery, make sure it is fully recharged. If the battery grip with size-AA/LR6 batteries is attached, manual sensor cleaning will not be possible.
1. Detach the lens before you start cleaning.
2. Set the power switch to [ON].
3. Press the [MENU] button to bring up the menu display.
4. Under the [
] (Set-up 3) tab, select [Sensor cleaning], then press [
5. Press the [
] keys to select [Clean manually], then press [
6. Press the [
] key to select [OK], then press [
7. The reflex mirror will lockup and the shutter will open.
8. Using a commercially available blower, blow dust that is stuck to the surface while preventing the blower from directly touching the sensor.
9. After cleaning, set the power switch to [OFF].
- While cleaning the sensor, never do any of the following. If the power is cut off, the shutter will close and the shutter curtains and image sensor may get damaged.
- Setting the power switch to <OFF>.
- Opening the battery compartment cover.
- Opening the card slot cover.
- The surface of the image sensor is extremely delicate. Clean the sensor with care.
- Use a plain blower without any brush attached. A brush can scratch the sensor.
- Do not insert the blower tip inside the camera beyond the lens mount. If the power is turned off, the shutter will close and the shutter curtains or reflex mirror may get damaged.
- Never use pressurized air or gas to clean the sensor. The blowing force can damage the sensor, or the spray gas can freeze on the sensor and scratch it.
- If the battery level becomes low while cleaning the sensor, the beeper will sound as a warning. Stop cleaning the sensor.
- If a smudge that cannot be removed with a blower remains, having the sensor cleaned by a Canon Service Center is recommended.